At Wallace Construction Group, LLC we realize that recovering from a fire can be a physically and mentally draining process. When a fire strikes, lives are suddenly turned around. Often, the hardest part is, knowing where to begin and who to contact.
The following checklist serves as a quick reference and guide for you to follow after a fire strikes.
1. If you are insured, contact your insurance company for detailed instructions on protecting the property and conducting inventory.
2. If you are not insured, try contacting organizations such as a local church or The Red Cross (441 East Tenth Street Indianapolis, IN Phone: 317-684-1441) for aid and assistance
3. Contact a reputable Fire and Smoke Restoration Contractor. Consulting with a fire damage restoration expert as quickly as possible could reduce or minimize the damage to your home and personal belongings. You need an expert to assess the home’s damage and provide the necessary services to repair your home’s structure as well as to safeguard and restore your personal belongings. As an experienced contractor, Wallace Construction Group, will help you determine if there is damage to your home that would warrant filing a claim with your Insurance provider. We will work with you and your provider to make sure your home is returned to pre-loss condition.
4. Check with the fire department to make sure your residence is safe to enter. Be watchful of any structural damage caused by the fire.
5. The fire department should see that utilities are either safe to use or are disconnected before they leave the site. DO NOT attempt to reconnect utilities yourself.
6. Conduct an inventory of damaged property and items. Do not throw away any damaged goods until after an inventory is made and approval to dispose has been given by (received from) your insurance provider.
7. Locate valuable documents and records if possible.
8. If you leave your home, contact the local police department to let them know the site will be unoccupied.
9. Begin saving receipts for any money you spent related to fire loss. The receipts may be needed later by the insurance company and for verifying losses claimed on income tax.
10. Check with an accountant or the Internal Revenue Service about special benefits for people recovering from fire loss.
When an emergency, such as a storm, flood or fire affect your home, consult with a professional company that can respond quickly, efficiently and with the expertise of over 20 years in the industry. We partner with you as our customer and your insurance company and help to restore or repair your home to its original condition.
Call on Wallace Construction Group, today…a company you can trust! 317-747-7063